1988 | BMW M3
Fully restored - 1 of 786 - online auction
Merk BMW Model 3 Series Uitvoering M3 Serie E30 Bouwjaar 1988 Carrosserienummer WBSBB050X03559056 Kilometerstand 80.500 km Eerste registratie 08/1988 Gelijke nummers Ja Carrosserie Cabriolet Carrosserie detail Convertible Vermogen (kW/PK) 143/195 Cilinderinhoud (ccm) 2.302 Cilinders 4 Deuren 2 Stuur Links Transmissie Manueel Versnellingen 5 Aandrijving Achterkant Remmen voor Schijf Remmen achter Schijf Brandstof Benzine Kleur Blauw Kleurbeschrijving van fabrikant Macaoblue Metallic (250) Interieurkleur Zwart Interieur materiaal Leder Stuurbekrachtiging Centrale deurvergrendeling Elektrische ramen Stoel verwarming Airco
*Please note, this car is being auctioned at thecollectables.nl. The price is an indication.*
About this Collectable
The E30 M3 is without a doubt one of the most legendary models in BMW history. The M3 brought the DTM feeling to the open road in the 1980s. This example also adds the experience of open driving. This is the very rare and highly sought after Cabriolet version of this model, of which only 786 were built. This car is originally delivered in The Netherlands and more importantly, was recently completely restored by BMW Classic, including an engine and gearbox revision.
The regular E30 M3 is a car that doesn't need an introduction. It is an iconic homologation special, derived from the racing version that would go on te be extremely successful. If the M from Motorsport applies to one BMW, it's the E30 M3. The legendary status of this car combined with the fact that only 18.000 were built, makes the E30 M3 a real collector's item.
With 17.970 built, the E30 M3 is by far the rarest generation of the M3. However, it can get a lot more exclusive: BMW built only 786 examples of the convertible. Talk about a Collectable! This car is not only extremely rare, the fact that it is an open version of a DTM homologation special also makes the car unique in its kind.
The moment you want to drive away, you immediately notice the roots of this car, because you are dealing with a dogleg gearbox. The advantage is that the second and third gear are now directly opposite each other. Designed for the track, just as much fun on that great mountain pass.
Since the Cabriolet does not have the rear spoiler, it has a more stylish look than the closed E30 M3. The Covnertible does have the characteristic flared wheel arches as well as the modified front and rear bumpers, making it clear that this is not just any 3 Series Cabriolet. The colour Macao Blue Metallic (which was not available on the regular M3) fits this car perfectly. The rims may not be original, but they are period correct Alpina rims that certainly suit the E30 M3 very well.
This example dates from 1988 and was originally delivered in the Netherlands. When the current owner bought the car, it was fitted with an S38 six-cylinder engine and a gearbox from the E34 M5. This has been replaced by BMW Classic with an original E30 M3 block with 215 hp and an original gearbox. Both the engine and the gearbox have been revised and the car has also undergone a thorough restoration. To give you an idea: this operation took three years and cost over €85,000. However, the result is impressive. Below you can find a very extensive (but still not complete) list of the work that has been carried out.
If you're looking for an E30 M3 Convertible to actually enjoy on the road, look no further.
This car is equipped from factory with:
- S354A Windscreen green tinted
- S384 Softtop blue
- S423A Floor mat velour
- S428A Warning triangle and first aid kit
- S663 Radio BMW Professional
- S690A Cassette Holder
The car is fitted with Alpina rims. And as stated before, has been completely restored at BMW Classic (see 'Service history').
The car is in mint condition thanks to the recent restoration, but it's also being driven. There are only some small signs of wear, as can be seen in the photos:
- Minimal rim damage left and right rear
- Small scratch on the front bumper under the right headlight
The car underwent a full restoration at BMW Group Classic in Munich from 2018 to 2020. The total cost of this restoration is €86,358.25 (excluding the parts supplied by the owner, including an original E30 M3 engine and gearbox).
The most important points from the recent maintenance history are:
- June 10, 2021 - 80.030 km - BMW Dusseldorp: front and rear brake discs replaced + front right door actuator replaced + engine oil change - €1,786.69
- 2018 to 2020 - 79.069 km - BMW Group Classic: full restoration (including M5 engine (S38) replaced by original M3 engine (S14), M5 gearbox replaced by original M3 gearbox, engine and gearbox overhauled) - € 86.358.25
Below is an (incomplete) list of the work performed at BMW Classic:
- M5 engine and gearbox disassembled - supplied M3 engine and gearbox installed
- Supplied M3 engine overhauled
- Gearbox overhauled
- Shift shaft renewed
- Brake hoses renewed
- Oil cooler including pipes overhauled and converted to original
- Cardan shaft replaced
- Rear axle drive overhauled and mounted
- Middle mufflers renewed
- Replace air conditioning lines, condenser, filter dryer, fan and compressor
- Heating unit disassembled, cleaned, new seals made, assembled and installed in the vehicle
- Windscreen replaced
- Fog lights replaced
- Bonnet renewed
- Bonnet supports replaced
- Gas struts trunk lid replaced
- Front bumper rubber lip replaced
- Convertible top renewed
- Steering wheel replaced
- Underside of steering column renewed
- Shift knob replaced
- Front and rear seats cleaned
- Temperature display/on-board computer replaced
- Lower front cover renewed
- BMW Casette radio installed
- Defective cables and plugs in the interior replaced
- Smart repair of paint damage at transition between body and boot lid on the left
- Vertical seal of the triangular window in the driver's door renewed
- Check Control installed
- Left and right air ducts replaced
- Footwell ventilation control repaired
- Battery replaced
- Rust at the underside of the sill left and right removed
- Rust removed on the left underside plate on the driver's side
- Rust left side removed
- Cardan tunnel and bulkhead repaired and rust removed
- Underside dry ice blasted
- Engine compartment, wheel arches and cardan tunnel painted
- Sound and heat insulation in engine compartment and floor mounted
- Wiring harness in the engine compartment repaired, defective plugs replaced, re-insulated pipes, and ABS sensors replaced
- Nozzles, hoses, check valves and reservoirs for windshield washer and headlight cleaning systems replaced
- Et cetera
See the photos for invoices and photos taken at BMW Classic. The full BMW Classic invoices (70 pages in total) are available on request.
Included with sale
- Two keys
- Invoices from BMW Classic (70 pages)
Please note, this car is being auctioned. For over 150 photos and the complete description, please visit www.thecollectables.nl
Conditie en registratie
Toegelaten Rijklaar Ongevallen vrij Voertuig ID: 252786
Van Nelleweg 1
3044 BC Rotterdam
+31 10 311 9611