1968 | Triumph TR 5 PI
1968 Triumph TR5 PI, Surrey Hardtop, Corgi models - Exceptional - REDUCED!
Marke Triumph Modell TR 5 Modellbezeichnung TR 5 PI Baujahr 1968 Zustandskategorie Restauriert Tachostand (abgelesen) 81'000 mls Erstzulassung 01/1968 Matching numbers Ja Karosserieform Cabriolet Karosseriedetail Cabriolet Leistung (kW/PS) 110/150 Hubraum (ccm) 2'498 Zylinder 6 Türen 2 Lenkung Rechts Getriebe Manuell Gänge 4 Antrieb Heck Bremse Front Scheibe Bremse Heck Trommel Kraftstoff Benzin Außenfarbe Gelb Herstellerfarbbezeichnung Jasmine Innenfarbe Schwarz Innenmaterial Leder Surrey Hardtop
Built in January 1968 we're delighted to offer this uniquely special Triumph TR5 PI. A genuine UK RHD 'home market' example, not the lessor US 'carburttored' TR250, this TR5 PI, "HWL", is confirmed to have been finished in Jasmine Yellow with black interior with manual Overdrive as confirmed by her accompanying BMI Heritage Certificate and comes fitted with the rarer Surrey hardtop as you see her today.
An inspection of the comprehensive history file confirms that having sat unrestored for a number of years the car was 'rescued' in 2010 by a Mr Moffat whom over the coming years, '10-13, lavished vast sums of money restoring the TR5 back to the condition you see it in today, with the body-off restoration / works including, but not limited to:
- Complete body / chassis strip down to bare metal. Check all panels for damage and carry out remedial repairs / replacement panels as required. Fully preparation of body tub, inner / outer all panels etc and painted in factory original Jasmine Yellow and once fitted checked fully for chassis alignment. Rustproof / clear waxoyl to all cavities and chassis.
- All mechanical components stripped, checked for wear and either restored or replaced. The gearbox / overdrive and rear differential have been rebuilt and the 2.5 litre engine has received a comprehensive rebuild including uprated Piper 'mild-road' cam (252deg duration, offering 8bhp upgrade), plus hardened valve seats, ideal for running unleaded.
- Electronic Ignition.
- Radiator re-core and air intake stripped and powder-coated.
- Suspension fully stripped. Shock Absorbers replaced, springs / wishbones / swing arms etc all powder-coated, all bushes front / rear replaced and upgrade to Polyurethane, all new joints / bearings etc. All larger components painted / powder-coated.
- Rebuilt braking system including new disc / pads, calipers, brake master cylinder, servo etc.
- New clutch.
- New Stainless Steel exhaust system.
- Rocker cover chromed
- All fuel lines, brake lines, hoses replaced.
- All new window rubbers, door seals etc
- All new / replacement chrome
- New wiring loom.
- Replacement of all exterior lights, housing, gaskets etc.
- 15" Minilite style alloys finished in graphite with diamond cut lip and fitted with new tyres.
- Interior completely stripped, new carpets, seat covers, door cards, dash panels etc
- Surrey top fully refurbished, new rubbers, lining, new soft-top cover.
- All new badges and decals.
- New 'Triumph' embossed rubber over-mats.
- Luggage rack
Invoicing for this period alone exceeds some £27k, with more recent history / invoicing too, and walking around the car now, the quality of the restoration still amazes, panel gaps, paint finish, chrome work, interior, engine bay detail etc are all excellent. Opening the door and stepping into the TR5, the driver is instantly taken back to classic motoring from the late 60's, the beautiful teak dash, switch-gear clearly labeled and full instrumentation give the driver an indication of the cars sporting intent. Starting the engine and the senses are heightened further, the 2.5 litre PI engine bursts into life with its distinctive straight six rumble and on selecting gear and going up through the gearbox, this 60's sportscar pulls effortlessly to a comfortable cruising speed with driver / passenger also able to enjoy the benefit of the smooth overdrive. There's no question about it, this TR5 really is a special classic, highly coveted and offers a wonderful driving and aural experience.
With rebuilt suspension, upgraded Poly-bushes etc, the TR6 feels well connected to the road too, there's no nasty scuttle shake or crashing on uneven surfaces, just a firm, well balanced ride and with her rebuilt braking system, the pedal feels reassuring too and in driving this TR for some time, we can certainly say this is one classic that feels that it could comfortably keep pace with modern motoring.
Further to her history, in 2017 having been displayed at various shows the then current owner was contacted by Corgi models as they were looking for a suitable example for their Vanguard range of 1:43 Diecast models and the factory correct details 'HWL' was transformed into model many see advertised, the attention to detail really is wonderful within the model and we're delighted to say that not only do we have a copy of the limited edition model but that having 'pre-viewed' the car on a limited numbers of social media platforms we were contacted by the gent who originally modelled the car at Corgi and he has forwarded a copy of the original model artwork, which we'll pass to the new owner also.
An exceptional example with wonderful history and provenance this TR5 just oozes charm and quality and looks resplendant finished in her subtle shade of Jasmine, matching her original Hertiage certificate. Beautifully restored and maintained since (offering a box file of associated history), approx 5k miles driven since restoration and coming with the rarer Surrey Hardtop and the unique link to Corgi we can comfortably say this TR5 is a very special car indeed, quite possibly the ultimate collectors TR5!
Zustand & Zulassung
Motor (Verkäufereinschätzung): 5 von 5 Technik (Verkäufereinschätzung): 5 von 5 Lack (Verkäufereinschätzung): 5 von 5 Innenraum (Verkäufereinschätzung): 5 von 5 Eingelöst Fahrbereit Fahrzeug-ID: 278470
Absolute Classic Cars
Silvertrees Farm, Westmoor Lane
LN1 2JW Kettlethorpe
+44 1636 626070