A rare British legend!
EUR 11,900JPY 1,551,403BGN 23,274CZK 308,531DKK 88,498GBP 10,328HUF 4,297,090PLN 54,156RON 58,623SEK 120,255CHF 13,103ISK 1,807,610NOK 119,214HRK 90,045RUB 1,081,616TRY 115,063AUD 18,396BRL 80,206CAD 17,833CNY 93,007HKD 110,851IDR 207,309,424ILS 46,750INR 1,061,902KRW 15,894,830MXN 284,179MYR 58,865NZD 19,903PHP 690,212SGD 19,016THB 445,298ZAR 203,451
Offered for: EUR 11,900
REDUCED PRICE: A rare British legend, this well-maintained 6-cylinder Armstrong Siddeley 18 Whitley features a 4-speed gearbox with smart preselector system, a unique feature which enables to select the vehicle’s next gear before it becomes fully engaged -the precursor of modern dual-clutch systems.
Finished in black-beige Duco paint with creme interior, chrome ornaments and wooden veneer, the Whitley 18 truly represents the charm of the British 1950’s era with tons of class at an affordable price.
This is a right-hand-drive example with a careful previous owner and rich maintenance record. Although not a concours automobile, the vehicle is in very good condition with an all-original interior and matching numbers.
The extensive use of aluminum and clever mechanical solutions like the reinforced twin-plate tank for extra strength, underline the company’s experience in aviation solutions.
The vehicle is located in Greece and can be exported anywhere in the world.
It must be noted that the vehicle has covered only 1,600 miles since the engine’s overhaul.
– – –
Here comes a detailed briefing about the vehicle's restoration:
1. The car was first imported new from England in 1950 by an Athens-based businessman. In 1980 it was gifted to his retired manager.
2. It changed hands again in 1989 when it was bought by its current owner.
3. The vehicle was driven daily until 1992 in its original dark green colour. In 1992 a two-year restoration project started with the aim to completely refurbish it.
4. The body was removed from the chassis. Brakes, suspension, steering were overhauled, and the rest checked and serviced.
5. There was no rust in the body, mainly because the car was always kept in a garage. Its aluminum components also helped withstand the passage of time.
6. The car received a total repaint, metal parts were rechromed, all interior woodwork was refreshed to perfection. A new wiring loom was installed, new black wall tyres were fitted.
7. Restoring the steering column proved to be an extremely difficult task, however, all adjustable positions (reach & rake) started working again like new.
8. The seat frames were rebuilt and new upholstery was fitted in the seats. The door cards were repaired, new carpet was installed in the cabin and boot area, and new headlining made the roof look like new.
9. All seals (doors, windows, windscreens and boot) were replaced.
10. In 2015 the roof and four wings were repainted.
11. In 2016 the following were restored:
- New carpets were fitted.
- The preselector gearbox was fully rebuilt with original spare parts imported from England at a cost of 2,800€.
- In order to solve the low oil pressure problem, the car received its first total engine overhaul, with original spare parts, at a cost of 1,900€.
12. In 2019 the original twin-plate fuel tank was completely rebuilt at a cost of 490€. New whitewall tyres were fitted. Some extra work included fitting a new electric fuel pump, electric fan and engine room light.
13. The only missing part today is the rear left tail light.
14. Since 1993 the car has only been used for classic events, weddings for friends, movies and advertising.
15. The total number of kilometers run since 1993: 13,500.
16. The vehicle has been kept in a closed parking throughout its life.
- - -
If you have any particular question or query, feel free to send us a message.
We have a large park of historic vehicles in exceptional condition backed by a network of restoration experts. Our extensive experience in the car sector can guarantee a trusted relationship in the fields of car restoration, sales administration and promotion.
automotohistory - Savas Kalfas
24, V. KORNAROU STR.
T: +30 690 780 0880
VAT No. EL044253904
MANAGING DIRECTOR: Mr. Savas Kalfas
Accepted Payment Methods
What should be included in the print exposé?
Your data will only be transmitted to Classic Trader, not to the seller.
I am a private seller
With Classic Trader your vehicle is as good as sold. We support you along the way.
I am a dealer
Post an unlimited number of vehicles. Use Classic Trader as a professional distribution channel and benefit from our services.