1913 | Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Silver Ghost
Merk Rolls-Royce Model Silver Ghost Uitvoering 40/50 HP Silver Ghost Bouwjaar 1913 Carrosserienummer 2297 Carrosserie Cabriolet Carrosserie detail Tourer Vermogen (kW/PK) 55/75 Cilinderinhoud (ccm) 7.428 Cilinders 6 Stuur Rechts Transmissie Manueel Aandrijving Achterkant Remmen voor Trommel Remmen achter Trommel Brandstof Benzine Kleur Anders Kleurbeschrijving van fabrikant - Interieurkleur Anders Interieur materiaal Anders Rechtslenker
1913 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Colonial Open Drive Landaulette by Barker.
Chassis number: 2297
Registration Number: R1130
Engine number: 104U
The Epitome of an Edwardian Rolls Royce with spectacular original open drive Landaulette coachwork by Barker. The Ghost's first owner was the Hon Lady Miller, who lived at 45 Grosvenor Square, London W1. After The Great War, it passed to Mrs F Gander-Dower, 30 Collingham Gardens, London SW5.
2297 Came off test in March of 1913 having been ordered to colonial specification by the Berliet Motor Company of Sackville St London, no doubt at the behest of their client. Chassis records record A rake steering being specified & the car being despatched to Barkers for the coach work we find on the car today.
The car had a restoration done in 1987 on what was an original & low mile chassis with no discernable wear to the foot pedals at all. Indeed during the past three decades the car has been kept mostly on axle stands whilst being started regularly & very very occasisonally being taken on outings the last of which was to The Lord Mayors Show in London 4 years ago. The car is currently at marque speciaist Kenworthy Engineering having a service & fettling performed. In addition to the current work, there are assorted large bills from Alan Glew to put the car in tip top order & keep it roadworthy during the current ownership where it has been maintained without regard to expense. A heel activated self starter is also fitted for ease of use although traditionalists may still prefer to coax the engine into life with recourse to the starting handle.
The car is resplendent in brush applied Burgundy coach paint with golden yellow hand appplied pinstriping to the body & Warland dual rim wooden artillery wheels running beaded edge tyres. To the interior is Black Leather along with original brocade decoration in dark blue & black. The trade mark Barker occasional seats are fitted which may be mounted in either forward or rear facing configuration.
The car is a delight to drive with a powerful silent engine which will trickle along at less then walking pace when running on idle, yet accelerates smoothly up to modern highway speeds. The three speed box is easily managed with little recourse to the lower gears required once top has been engaged. The usual plethora of lamps, foot heater, fire extinguishers etc adorn the car along with roof mounted hat nets & a speaking tube the better with which to address the driver. A large & sonorous Klaxon horn foretells the cars imminent arrival.
The premier coachbuilder, Barker & Co was chosen to supply and fit the open-drive limousine coachwork (body number '3351'). It is interesting to note that this style of elegant coachwork was very popular in the Edwardian era but only 18 examples on Rolls-Royce chassis are known to survive from that period. Chassis '2297' is the only remaining 1913 Rolls-Royce graced with this style of coachwork out of the 166 completed that year. The coachwork is original to the car as when new & is a desirable parrallel bonnet model. The early derby number R1130 suits the car very well. The Laundaulette hood falls readily open once the two retaining catches are released. Guages consist of oil pressure, fuel pressure & a twin Elliot speedometer augmented by a C.A.V. Switch box. The Massive front lamps are also C.A.V. units. (Charles A Vanderveld of Acton to the uninitiated.)
A tool set is located in one of the wooden running board mounted boxes & the battery in the other box. The car went to Alan Glew a decade or so ago & had an electric starter fitted as previously it had to be swung on the handle. Attention was also given to the trembler coil. A new fan belt has just been fitted to replace the original one which had been in situ on the car from 1913 until this year. The original comes with the car. The steering is "A" rake as might be expected of such formal coachwork.
Some lovely period pictures of the car in the early 1950's looking just as it does today come with the car. The then owner notes that he had the lamps resilvered.
Magnificent original bodied early Silver Ghosts rarely appear to Market & this low mile example is well worth a look for the serious collector. This is an imposing car of very tall stature & commands serious road presence & deference when encountered on her Majesties Highways.
Conditie en registratie
Toegelaten Rijklaar Voertuig ID: 254877 Handelaar Voertuig-ID: 2224
Vintage & Prestige Fine Motor Cars
9 Globe Industrial Estate
RM17 6ST Grays
+44 7967 260673